This is Part II of a two part class that will be held on September 22
and Sunday October 20th.
We are offering a $20 discount for taking both classes, you have the option to choose one or both classes in the drop down menu.
Part II - Sunday, October 20, 1:30-4:00 pm
Join Vashon’s own Sarah Collins of Seattle Canning Company, multiple Good Food Awards winner, for the second class of our two-part series focusing on the basics of canning, preserving, pickling, and general putting-up.
Using the best of Vashon’s autumn bounty of produce, Sarah will guide us through the basics of what it means to can and pickle from both a scientific perspective and a practical stance.
This class series will be a true blend of theory and practice. In Part II, we will expand upon what we learned in Part I (which is highly recommended) cover:
- Advanced types and methods of canning and preserving foods paired with recipe ideas and how to put-up according to the season.
- Fruit vinegars
- A scientific and craft-based discussion about Fermentation vs. Pickling
- Quickles, mustards, relishes, and chutneys.
- Your very own jars of pickles to take home.
We do recommend taking Pickled and Preserved Class Part I (Sunday, September 22nd, 1:30- 4:30 pm) as this was created as a two-part series focusing on the basics of canning, preserving, pickling, and general putting-up.
In Part I, we will cover:
- Principles of food preservation in a home setting.
- Step-by-Step basics for safely preserving high acid foods like pickles, jams, and relishes for shelf storage to enjoy year-round.
- A deep dive into which foods are best suited for canning as well as the basics of vinegar pickling.
- Two brine recipes, the Water Bath Technique, and your very own jar of pickles to take home.
We at Relish are very proud to invite you to dig into the art and science of canning with a true expert of the craft. Come and learn how to enjoy your harvest all year long.